Last night was a great night, culinary school for 9 hours followed up with dinner with good friends at a place with incredible food!(Freddy Small’s, there’ll be a review shortly) After dinner and a few drinks I ended up at my buddy Adam’s and we didn’t have coke to make the normal bourbon colas, but we had some fresh fruit and some juice and some spices, so we decided to get our mixology on with this take on an Old Fashioned, aptly titled the New Fashioned. This is for any of the bourbon drinkers out there, it’s got a nice spice to it, some good sweetness, a bit of citric tartness as well as a good bourbon flavor that controls the drink, and it thoroughly permeates the delicious chunks of mango. A slightly overripe mango is preferred for this as the mushy texture is great for the muddling portion!
- 1/3 Cup – Wild Turkey 101
- 1/4 Cup – Jose Cuervo Margarita Mix
- 3 – 3×2″ Chunks of Mango
- Juice of 1/2 a Navel Orange
- 1/2 TSP – Orange Zest
- 2 TSP – Honey
- 1/3 Cup – Pineapple Orange Juice (We used Simply brand)
- Muddling Mix
- 1/4 TSP – Ground Clove (or 3 fresh clove bulbs ground)
- 1/4 TSP – Ground Cinnamon (or 1/4″ piece of cinnamon stick ground)
- 1/4 TSP – Ground Nutmeg (or same amount freshly ground)
- Combine Wild Turkey and Margarita Mix in a 8oz glass (it should all just barely fit by the end)
- Add mango slices and orange zest
- Add the juice of the orange as well as the muddling spices and honey
- Use a whisk to muddle everything together
- Add in the pineapple orange juice, then muddle again. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, and rinse the original mixing glass
- Return the mango chunks to the clean glass, then cover with strained juice and serve!
I wanted to share this because it was a real beverage MacGyver recipe that turned out to be delicious. Now I know we were drunk when we made it, but seriously, give it a try and tell me it’s not good!