I wanted to have a hot dog yesterday, and I’ve been eating healthy. I had a turkey hot dog with veggie chips, and it didn’t really fill me up, so I followed it up with this delicious salad. It has fiber filled arugula, with beta carotene from the carrots, and healthy mono-poly unsaturated fats from the avocado AND pistachios as a digestive track cleaning vinaigrette. More importantly, it’s a good tasting salad with bold textures, flavors, and colors! I love apricot and thought its sweetness would pair well with the creamy avocado and crunchy arugula, and I thought right!
- 1 Cup Arugula
- 4 Baby Carrots
- 1/2 Small Avocado
- 6-7 Pistachios
- 10 Chocolate Nib Easter Bunnies
- 1 Tsp Mustard
- 1-2 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 8oz Can – Halved Apricots, Skin on, In juice (You’ll only need 2 halves)
- 1 Tsp Minced Onion
- Plate your arugula
- Chop your baby carrots into 1/4′ thick rings
- Roughly dice the apricot into small cubes
- Cut thin slices of avocado, and place them around the salad
- In a bowl, combine the mustard, vinegar, olive oil, black pepper, and paprika until emulsified
- Drizzle salad with dressing
- Top with minced onion, pistachios, and chocolate nib Easter bunnies
- Fresh cracked black pepper on top and you are good to go!
You’ll find this salad a variety of things, tart, sweet, creamy, and crunchy. One of my favorite parts was the addition of the chocolate Easter bunny nibs, thanks to my roommate who had some from Easter. They really balanced the acidity of the vinaigrette and made the salad playful. I hope you like this, and if you do. . . Tell me!