Welcome to “How To” on Eating In Bed! It’s hard to learn how to cook with no explanation of the methods you’re using, so this section of the site is dedicated to making delicious food accessible, and fun,while introducing you to the proper execution of cooking techniques!
Today’s “How-To” is an easy one, which is precisely why I’m writing it. It’s great to know how to make a compote or a balsamic reduction, but that’s not helpful when you have to cook and eat in less than 20 minutes. As we all know, more and more people are constantly on the go these days and chicken/tuna salad remain fast easy staples that can be taken to go (just keep them refrigerated and not in your sweltering hot car!)
Canned tuna and chicken are great ingredients that are both healthy and versatile. You can use canned tuna to make tuna burgers or fish cakes and canned chicken can be shredded and tossed with a variety of sauces to make things like tacos or buffalo chicken wraps. They’re both high in protein and low in calories, especially when packed in water, NOT oil.
How to Make Awesome Tuna & Chicken Salad Fast!
- 1 can of Chicken or Tuna (preferably white meat chicken and solid white albacore tuna)
- 2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Celery Salt
- 1 Tsp Dill *optional
- 2 Tsp Lemon Juice *optional
- 2-3 Tbsp Mayo (I prefer the texture and flavor of light mayo for these salads)
- 1 Celery Stalk – cut into 4 strips lengthwise then diced
- 1/4-1/2 Red Onion – Finely diced
- Dice your onions and celery
- Drain your chicken/tuna and rinse it with water while still in the can (slightly lowers the sodium by pulling out some salt)
- Combine the tuna/chicken and all the ingredients!
The optional lemon juice and dill add another layer of flavor but it’s really at your discretion. This chicken/tuna salad is easy, fast, flavorful, and quite healthy if you use the light mayo. It can be made even healthier by substituting the mayo with mustard, which drops at least 30 calories from the dish and if it’s spicy mustard it’ll help speed up your metabolism. I hope this has been a fast meal revolution for you and you’re seeing that fast healthy meals are possible. This dish should take no more than 8 minutes to throw together.