This is an amazing recipe for anyone that likes sushi and is enjoying our Japanese Food Week here at Eating in Bed! Today’s recipe is for a delicious Tempura Shrimp Roll that has sweet crunchy shrimp paired with Jumbo Lump Crab, crunchy cucumber, and mild Avocado to even it out.
This recipe teaches you how to make a simple egg free Tempura Batter and how to make your first sushi roll! Here we go!
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT NEEDED
- Bamboo Sushi Rolling Mat (Got mine for $2.00 at a Japanese market)
- Nori Sheets (Compressed Seaweed Paper basically, found at any Japanese market and in a lot of Asian/Foreign Food Aisles of bigger grocery stores)
TEMPURA BATTER INGREDIENTS
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/3 – 1/2 Cup Sake
- 2/3 – 1 Cup Water
- 4 -5 Medium Sized Shrimp – Butterflied, Deshelled, Deveined, and Already Cooked!
- 1/4 Japanese Cucumber – Cut into Match Sticks
- 1/4 Avocado – Cut into Small Rectangles
- 1/4 Cup Jumbo Lump Crab Meat or Imitation Crab Meat
- 1/3 – 1/2 Cup Prepared Sushi Rice
- 1/2 Nori Sheet
- 1 Cup of Water (for dipping your fingers in before touching the rice)
- 4 Cups Vegetable Oil
TEMPURA BATTER RECIPE
- Combine the Flour and the Sake
- Stir with a Whisk until Flour gets a little clumpy
- Add the Water and Stir until it’s gooey (add extra water and flour as needed!)
- Place your Batter into a LARGER container that’s filled with ice, and occasionally drop in 1 ice cube at a time to keep the batter cold, that’s what makes it so fluffy!
TEMPURA SHRIMP RECIPE
(Follow these steps with just about any meat or veggie you want)
- Get a Wok or Medium Sized Pot to Medium Heat WITH the oil in it!
- Dredge the Shrimps in the Tempura Batter, drip off the excess
- Throw those bad boys in the Oil 1 at a time until full
- Turn them after about 30-40 seconds
- You can tell they’re done when they’re golden brown
- Set them on a paper towel or drying rack
TEMPURA SHRIMP ROLL RECIPE!
- Lay 1/2 Sheet of Nori(Shiny Side facing you!) on the Bamboo Sushi Rolling Mat
- **NOTE** Use the Dipping Water to keep your finger from getting too covered in stick sushi rice!Place the rice on the Nori and get it 1/4′ thin with about 1/2′ of space on both sides (which is not the case in the picture below, but we were epic meal timing!)
- Place the Shrimps on the Rice first and press them in
- Top with Avocado, Crab, and Cucumber
- Roll the Bamboo Mat onto itself, so the 2 pieces of nori without rice are touching
- Pull the top piece of Nori tight against the stuffing
- Roll it back and forth with some good pressure for about 10 seconds until it feels tight and well formed
- For some reason we used a Bread Knife to cut ours. . . you can use whatever you want
Enjoy this roll with some Soy Sauce, Wasabi, and Pickled Ginger! This one flew off the cutting board, but I was able to secure a few pictures. I hope this has encouraged you to make your own sushi, and if you do I want to see pictures and comments on here!