Quinoa is an amazingly healthy little grain-like starch. It has protein, fiber, polyunsaturated fat, magnesium, phosphorous and more! While people love foods that are good because of their health benefits, we all know most of them aren’t the best tasting. Quinoa is not one of them, especially when toasted before. I can’t really compare it to any other grainy flavor, if I had to it would probably be close to a pearled barley. Either way, I made this Quinoa as a bed under a Braised Lamb Shank and it turned out awesomely. It’s easy to prepare and below is the recipe for making fast flavorful Quinoa!
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tsp Salt & Black Pepper
- 1/2 Vegetable Bouillion Cube
- Bring Water to a Boil
- Add Butter and Bouillion Cube
- Bring Pan to Medium-High Heat
- Add Olive Oil to Pan
- Toast the Quinoa in the oil, stirring every minute or so for 5 – 6 minutes until slightly browned
- Add the Quinoa to the Boiling Water
- Add Garlic Powder & Salt & Pepper
- Lower to Medium Heat
- Cook 20-25 minutes until most water is absorbed
- Remove Cover and let sit for 3-4 minutes
- Serve, Squeeze a slice of lemon for a garnish
- You can also just toast the Quinoa and throw the liquid ingredients in a rice cooker! Then you just have to stir it occasionally and it’s done!
You’ll really enjoy this because it’s a simple application for a side-dish that will actually get eaten and it has health benefits. Incorporating Quinoa into your diet over things like potatoes and white rice can greatly lower the amount of carbs you eat and increase your protein intake also! Please let me know what you think!