My brother just got in to town and I wanted him to have an awesome breakfast so this is the creation that ensued. I love making these Egg Cupcakes, this is my second or third time doing it, and I love the layers of flavor you can develop with them.
This one starts with a base layer of toasted whole wheat bread that’s topped with a tomato, egg, cheese, and basil mixture that’s topped with maple glazed ground turkey, then topped with cheese and garnished with maple syrup and basil.
- 9 Large Eggs
- 4 Pieces of Turkey Bacon
- 1 Lb Ground Turkey
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 1 Cups Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 1/2 Medium Sized Vine Ripe Tomato
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Basil* (* = get it whole, shred it yourself)
- 1/3 Cup Diced Red Onion*
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
- 3 – 4 Toasted Slices of Whole Wheat Bread
- Preheat oven to 375
- Put Turkey Bacon in oven for 12-15 minutes until it’s crispy
- Toast your bread
- Chop the toast into smaller than bite size pieces
- Spray a muffin tin with Cooking Spray (like Pam)
- Cover the bottom of the tin with bread bits, don’t pile it too high, just a base
- Heat a pan to Medium High Heat
- Add your Ground Turkey to the Pan
- Wait for the bottom to brown a little, then break it all up and cover it with the Maple Syrup, Once it gets a bit brown, remove from heat and set aside 7-9 minutes
- Chop your Tomato, Onion, Basil, and Bacon
- Scramble together all the Eggs
- Add the Vegetable to the Egg
- Add 1/2 Cup shredded Cheese and the water to the Eggs and stir to combine
- Use a large spoon or ladle – Spoon each muffin tin 2/3 full with Egg mixture
- Then, using your hands, cover the tops of the egg mixture with the glazed Turkey
- Put them in the oven for 5 minutes – the egg should be bubbling a little
- Top the eggcakes with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese, if you need more. . . go for it!
- Cook 4 more minutes
- Turn oven to Broil
- Cook 4 -6 minutes until the cheese is golden brown on top (KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR OVEN ANY TIME YOU’RE BROILING!!!)
- Remove from heat – let stand 2 minutes
- Scoop them out and top with a little maple syrup and basil!
I really hope you like this, I made it for 4 people, each person got 3 egg cupcakes, and there were no leftovers. Actually it was all eaten in about 20 minutes. But this was a delicious welcoming meal for my brother!
If you make this, please be sure to let me know what you think! These are a lot of fun to make, and you can make them with friends/family!