A friend of mine came over and we decided to wonder the grocery store and create something delicious and original. It was started for high class when we happened upon Artichokes and we decided to make a dip for the leaves. The next item spotted was the White Asparagus, initially the idea was sauteed Asparagus with Bacon and Garlic, it evolved into a dip later. Then the Crab was spotted and it was on like donkey kong.
The White Asparagus and Cheese make a creamy looking dip that has a deceptive body of flavor. The delicate crab flavor marries with the lemon and is accented almost as a crab cake with the browned panko bread crumbs on top. One of the best creations yet!
- 1 lb White Asparagus **Cut 1′ from the bottom of each Stalk**
- 1 Whole Dungeness Crab (Preferably around 1lb)
- 2 Slices Bacon
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/3 – 1/2 Cup Cream Cheese (Philadelphia)
- 1/2 – 3/4 Cup Panko Bread Crumb
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Black Pepper
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees
- Bring Cream Cheese to Room Temperature
- Cook the 2 Pieces of Bacon
- Set Aside
- Chop Garlic and place in baking dish
- Cut bottoms off the Asparagus and place them in a baking dish
- Top with 1/2 the Bacon Fat
- Place in Oven for 25-40 minutes (until fork tender)
- Harvest the Crab meat, start with the legs then the body
- Remove from Oven
- To a Food Processor or Blender Add the Roasted Asparagus/Garlic, Lemon and the Cream Cheese!
- Blend for about 30 seconds until smooth
- Add Bacon
- Blend for 10 more seconds
- Return the mixture to the Baking Dish
- Combine with Crab
- Top with Panko
- Bake 15 – 20 minutes at 350
- I recommend using braised or boiled artichokes as your dipping device for this delicious delight!