That’s right, I did it. It’s a quick twist on a traditional Italian comfort food that everyone knows and loves. The health benefits are the main reason I decided to do this as I’m trying to burn my belly off a little. Either way, this is light, but filling and full of flavor!
- 1 Lb Ground Turkey
- 1/4 Onion Minced into Paste
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced into Paste
- 1 Tbsp McCormick’s Italian Herb Seasoning Grinder
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Jar Pasta Sauce with Basil & Garlic
So, before I start this recipe, I’m going to do a preface about spaghetti squash. The one I purchased said you should split it in half and place it face down in a baking dish with the 1/4 cup of water and microwave for 12 minutes. WELL, after 12 minutes it was still rock hard, after almost 30 minutes it started to become tender, and it was terrible.
The point I’m trying to make is that if you just stab the spaghetti squash about 10 times all over with a big knife then pour in the 1/4 cup of water and cook it for 15-20 minutes it turns out a lot better because it internally steams itself!
Now to the food
- Mince your Garlic and Onion into a paste
- Combine Ground Turkey, Onion, Garlic, and Seasoning (just til combined, don’t over work the meat)
- Form them into meatballs, I made smaller sized ones a little bigger than a corner
- Let them sit for about 10 minutes to let them absorb the flavors and keep their form
- Stab your Spaghetti Squash all over
- Put it in a baking dish with 1/4 cup water
- Microwave 15 – 20 minutes, until you can puncture it on all sides with a fork easily. (Rotate every 5 minutes)
- Heat your largest Pan to Medium High Heat
- Put in your Meatballs, sear 3 minutes on both sides, and on the side if you feel saucey
- In a medium sized Sauce Pot add your bottle of Pasta Sauce and bring to a light boil (When using a whole jar, I usually add 1/4 cup of water to the empty jar, cap it, and shake it up to get all the extra deliciousness, then add that too)
- When your meatballs are seared, add them to the pasta sauce to finish cooking for about 5-7 minutes.
- Cut the Squash in half and Pull out the seeds/strands in the middle
- Then use a spoon and scrape the spaghetti out of the squash
- In a bowl, put 1/2 cup Spaghetti Squash and 1/2 cup Pasta Sauce with 2-3 Meatballs for a nice presentation
- Garnish with Parmesan Cheese