A healthy lunch, the salty bite of the leeks are counter balanced by the acidity of the tomatoes and lightness of the muenster. It goes great on a baguette and with a side of tomato soup.
Leeks are an underutilized flavor force to be reckoned with. While they’re subtle, and usually found with scallions in your Mongolian Beef, leeks can actually take the foreground of a meal and make it theirs. The salty impact of the leek flavor makes this grilled cheese perfectly balanced, and makes mouths water every time!
*Tip for anyone who’s never eaten leeks before. Make sure you wash/soak them to ensure there’s no dirt caught between the layer, a good 10 minute soak should do!
- 1 – 5′ Inch Slice of Baguette Cut in Half
- 1 Slice of Muenster
- 1 Slice of Tomato
- 1/3 Cup of Rough Chopped Leeks
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 Tsp Ground Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Bring a small pan up to medium heat
- pour 1 tsp of oil in pan, reserving remaining oil for the bread
- Add leeks to oil, add all seasonings
- saute for 10 minutes or until tender, remove from heat
- Rub remaining 2 tsp oil on the slices of bread, place in toaster oven
- When the bread is finished, put on the tomato, and leeks.
- Top with cheese
- if you have some fresh basil, this would be a great time to add it, and you could substitute mozzarella for muenster.
- Put back in the toaster, on broil, and keep your eyes on it
- When the cheese is golden brown remove and enjoy
I’ve eaten this the past 3 days, it’s been great! It’s quite a healthy meal, if you wanna double the health you can use some kind of whole wheat or multi-grain bread, you could also remove the salt. Please leave comments if you try this, I was pleasantly surprised!