This is a great appetizer for at parties, you can put in a meat if you like, something salty like ham or bacon would be a good addition, but this is a vegetarian recipe. This can also be turned into an entree by using full grown Portabellos topped with a piece of Canadian Bacon and the Cheese Sauce before being put in the oven.
A really quick easy appetizer that’s delicious and quite healthy, If you want to make it as a meal instead of an appetizer you can put the cheese mixture on a regular size Portabello.
This is one I learned from my mom, she usually would just put a little cheese on the caps with a little garlic salt and toss them in the toaster oven for a while and have them as dinner. I decided to up the awesomeness, the mushrooms get really soft and juicy, and having a little crisp from a browned cheese is a great addition.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Package of Baby Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 Wheel of Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb Cheese
- 2 Cups of Fresh Spinach
- 1 Tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Diced Onion
- 1/2 Tsp of Ground Rosemary
- 2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Tsp Salt
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Rinse and de-stem Mushrooms so you only have the caps (You can mince the stems and saute them if you want)
- Put Mushroom Caps on a baking dish, stem side up
- In a small pot heat 1 tsp of olive oil to medium heat
- Grind or finely mince rosemary and add to oil
- Add onions and garlic and Sweat until tender
- Slice Spinach into little strips (Roll them up in a bunch and slice)
- Add Spinach to Pot, cook until it begins to wilt
- Add Laughing Cow Cheese to Pot and stir until melted
- Sprinkle Black Pepper and salt over the mushrooms
- Spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps as full as you want
- Put in oven for 10 minutes
- Turn oven Broiler on to High
- Crack the oven door open slightly and keep an eye on the mushrooms as broilers will burn anything if you turn around for a second
- As soon as the cheese mixture is golden brown, take em out and let them rest for a minute
- Serve at a cocktail party!
Sadly only one of my roommate’s likes mushrooms so I don’t get to make this as often as I’d like, but it’s still really good. I used to do it with Button Mushrooms, but the Baby Bellas are so much better. They’re still young, but they have a fuller flavor than the buttons and a more meaty texture. Also, if you’re looking for a nice presentation I recommend putting chopped cilantro with them. As always I hope you enjoy these, and please let me know what you think!